madVR - Tipps & Tricks & FAQ

• Du kannst bei dem Reiter "calibration" unten anhaken "report BT.2020 to display". Ich weiß jedoch nicht, ob das dann für alle Inhalte funktioniert. Ich nutze aber auch einfach zwei Profile. 1x 2020 und 1x 709, schon allein weil sonst Kodi nicht passend aussieht.

auch gewerblich als User "Speaker Base" unterwegs

• Hi all,

I hope it's OK to ask questions in English on this forum. I'm completely new to madVR and I'm looking forward to get to know it better and to get it to work for my setup. I have a HTPC (i5 cpu) with a RTX 3060 TI graphics card, a JVC N5 projector and NAD T778 AVR.

I've installed madVR, MPC-HC, LAV-filter and XY-subs and selected madVR as video renderer in the MPC options. I've setup the AVR and the projector in madVR and have allowed madVR to select 1080p23 and 2160p23 as resolutions it can switch to.

However, when I play a 1080p23 movie in MPC it's like madVr is not activated. The resolution on the screen doesn't change, if I press ctrl + j, nothing happens and I don't get any OSD output. It's as if madVR is simply not running.

If this is not the right thread to post this type of question, please let me know and point me to the correct thread.

Also, it seems like this post was posted in Danish to begin with. My German is not so good, so I had Google translate the page to Danish. When I wrote my post in English, it apparently also translated that into Danish, so I've disabled that function and hope you can read this .

• Hello Ultimathor,

most of the people are using MPC-BE instead of MPC-HC in connection with madVR (but that doesn`t matter). It really seems like madVR is not running. madVR should start automatically when you start playing a file. Can you check, if the "madVR-home cinema control" icon appears in the windows task-bar (please don`t start the madHcCtrl.exe before).

Which instructions did you use to carry out the settings?

• Hello Ultimathor,

most of the people are using MPC-BE instead of MPC-HC in connection with madVR (but that doesn't matter). It really seems like madVR is not running. madVR should start automatically when you start playing a file. Can you check, if the "madVR-home cinema control" icon appears in the windows task-bar (please don`t start the madHcCtrl.exe before).

Which instructions did you use to carry out the settings?

Hi Civer,

Thanks for you reply :-).

It seems something had gone wrong. In the madVR folder there was not settings.bin file. So I decided to start over and go with MCP-BE. In order to have a completely clean install, I reintstalled Windows 10, installed madVR 92.17 and 141 on top of that, LAV filters 0.75.10-1. I got help from a Danish madVR user who also has a JVC N5 so I used the exact same settings that work fine on his setup and configured madVR and MCP-BE in the same way. The only difference is that he has an AMD graphics card and I have a RTX 3060 TI.

When I play files I get two weird things going on:

- When I play a 1080p movie, no scaling takes place and it's like the line in the madVR OSD where it's supposed to say 1080p -> 2160p is missing. See the attachment "Prisoners 1080p - madVR OSD". My projector also reports 1080p.

- When I play a 4K HDR movie (like Blade Runner 2049), the madVR OSD looks like it outputs to DCI-P3 but on the projector it still show 3840x2160 in BT2020 HDR. See the attachments "Blade Runner 2049 2160p HDR - N5" to see what the projector receives and "Blade Runner 2049 2160p HDR - madVR OSD to see what madVR is supposed to send

I've also attached my setttings.bin file so you can see if there's something there that seems off.

I'd really appreciate suggestions as to how to move forward as I think it shoud work.

Thanks for your help :-).

• I had a look at it and these settings won`t give you the expected result.

With this rule (and the individual profile settings)...

Code
    if(hdr) and (deintFPS < 31) "2160p23"
    elseif (hdr) "2160p60"
    else "1080p23"

...madVR will not upscale 1080 to 2160!

Profile "1080p23" includes display modes 1080p23/24/30/60 so it won`t change the source resolution when it is 1080p23/24/30/60. You need to remove these resolutions.

Profile "2160p23" reports BT.2020 to the display (it`s an activated checkbox in the calibration option) so the beamer is switching to a HDR gamma.

You need to change the rule and/or some profile entries.

Please have a look at this post:

http://forum.doom9.net/showthread.php?p=1271417#post1271417

• Hi Civer,

Thanks so much for your reply. We're definitely moving in the right direction :-).

I removed the 1080p 23/24/30/60 entries from the display modes for profile 1080p23 and now the scaling works. That's great.

I have unchecked the "report BT.2020 to display" on 2160p 23/60. However, it seems like the projector understands everything coming from madVR as HDR BT.2020 and shifts into HDR mode with high lamp, BT2020 and enables the JVC Frame Adapt on top of madVR. I'd been hoping for DCI-P3 where I should then select high lamp through User 2 rather than Cinema.

The projector shows HDR BT.2020 for 2160p23 HDR material, 2160p23 SDR-material and 1080p (upscaled to 2160p) material. I've attached screen shots for madVR OSD and the JVC N5 info that shows what the projector receives for a 2160p23 HDR movie (Blade Runner 2049) and a 1080p23 movie (About Endlessness).

I've also attached my updated settings.bin file.

I really appreciate that you take the time to assist with this. I would not have been able to figure it out on my own.

• I found out part of the problem. It was a setting on the JVC N5 under "Auto Pic. Mode Select" that was set to "Last setting" for SD (2D). So when it had registered BT.2020 and HDR on the last played SDR (2D) movie, it continued to do so. I changed it to "Cinema" and now 1080p movies work great. They are upscaled to 2160p, the gamut is DCI-P3 and the colors are beautiful.

However, there's still a problem with UHD HDR rips. I've set the Primaries/Gamut to DCI-P3 for the 2160p23 and 2160p60 profiles and unticked "Report BT.2020 to dislpay". But the display still interprets the material from madVR as being HDR and then switches to high-lamp and HDR Frame Adapt and BT.2020. In the the madVR OSD it says BT.2020 ->DCI-P3. How come madVR shows one thing and the JVC N5 reports another?

I'm a bit confused as to whether I should use BT.2020 for HDR material
    or if I should convert from BT.2020 to DCI-P3 and then just set the lamp to high.

When I play series that are in HDR10+ it works fine. MadVR plays these and the projector recognizes these as DCI-P3.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Das ist gut auf der Fernbedienung zu haben, ja. Ich kann noch empfehlen, sich zwei Buttons für Gamma plus und minus auf die FB zu legen, da einige Filme ganz offensichtlich mit z.B. Gamma 2.4 gemastered sind uns sonst flau aussehen.

• Ich kann noch empfehlen, sich zwei Buttons für Gamma plus und minus auf die FB zu legen, da einige Filme ganz offensichtlich mit z.B. Gamma 2.4 gemastered sind uns sonst flau aussehen.

Ja, und es ist sehr sinnvoll, mindestens zwei HD-Profile zu haben, da einige Filme viel zu hell gemastert wurden. Jetzt gerade wieder bei den UHDs von "Underworld 1+2" bemerkt. Statt mit DPL = 100 muss ich auf 250 umschalten, damit der düstere Look ähnlich der Blu-ray ist. Ansonsten sieht das in den Gewölben aus, als ob die Sonne reinscheint. Und dann fragt man sich, warum da überall Kerzen rumstehen!:big_smile:

Was für ein Scheißstandard...:thumbdown:

• Ja, und es ist sehr sinnvoll, mindestens zwei HD-Profile zu haben, da einige Filme viel zu hell gemastert wurden. Jetzt gerade wieder bei den UHDs von "Underworld 1+2" bemerkt. Statt mit DPL = 100 muss ich auf 250 umschalten, damit der düstere Look ähnlich der Blu-ray ist. Ansonsten sieht das in den Gewölben aus, als ob die Sonne reinscheint. Und dann fragt man sich, warum da überall Kerzen rumstehen!:big_smile:

Was für ein Scheißstandard...:thumbdown:

Ich muss gestehen, dass HDR bei mir auf dem absteigenden Ast ist, bzw. ich zusehends SDR wieder den Vorzug gebe. Irgend was ist gefühlt immer, mit dem HDR-Zeug. Bei SDR stimmt alles "out of the box". Jedesmal, wenn ich dann denke, ok, zeig mir die Fehler, sieht es wieder sehr gut aus, aber unter'm Strich ist mir mit dem jahrelangen Gefrickel die Lust am HDR vergangen und - wie Du ja schon mal angemerkt hast - die Qualität der SDR-Releases auch annähernd so gut, wie die der getonemappten HDR Versionen. Dazu der ganze Blues mit MadVR, Zeitlimitierungen, laufend neuen Einstellunge, etc. Windows, uff.. Irgendwie bin ich es ein wenig leid.

• Es gibt aber trotzdem das Problem mit unterschiedlich gegradeten UHDs. Und ich meine meine damit explizit nicht die Spitzenhelligkeit, sondern wie hell das Bild durchschnittlich im Bereich <100 Nits (oder der da sein sollte) ist. Ich habe schon sehr viele UHDs mit ihren Blu-ray-Pendants verglichen und prüfe den Bereich <100 Nits immer noch zusätzlich mit einer 3D-LUT von DisplayCAL, die bei 100 Nits abschneidet. Damit sieht man genau, was unter 100 Nits ist und was darüber und wie es ohne Highlights aussieht.

Es gibt einige Scheiben, bei denen muss ich die DPL deutlich nach oben schrauben, sonst sehen sie viel zu grell und überzogen aus. Das kann auch madVR mit den Dynamic Target Nits nicht abfangen. Und man erkennt es an keinem Wert. Das heißt, man muss reinschauen und wissen wie es in SDR ungefähr aussehen muss, damit man es korrekt einstellen kann. Eigentlich eine Katastrophe!

Beispiele für viel zu helle UHDs:

Aquaman

Inglourious Basterds

König der Löwen (2019)

Underworld 1 + 2

Dagegen gibt es genügend UHDs, bei denen das nicht so ist. Bei denen sieht das Bild selbst mit Clipping fast genauso aus wie die Blu-ray. Eigentlich kein Wunder, dass es keine Tone-Mapping-Einstellung für alle Varianten geben kann. Blöd nur, wenn man den Film noch nicht kennt. Die optimale Einstellung des Tone-Mappings kann man im Grunde erst hinterher ermitteln...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!